Wednesday, October 11, 2006

An Accomplishment

One thing I love about studying Interior Design and being in a school such as the one I’m attending is that I get to meet a lot of new people. In terms of age, for example, the range is pretty wide with the oldest being around 50 and the youngest being around 17. Even if we’re mostly women and gay guys, pick one out of the bunch and you’d still get a pretty unique person with an interesting story or two to tell.

On the other hand, it’s also very challenging to be around people who are not on the same wavelength as you are. This past week, for example, I’ve been working on a group project that required us to report to the class on different types of flooring. It just so happens that half of my group are all busy Moms who have so much more responsibilities other than academic ones. Funny isn’t it, that me, Misty, the least Mommy-est of all, would be grouped with the Mommies of the class! It was definitely interesting. Being out of school for so long, I could sense that they were not sure where to start and how to go about the presentation. So being the recent college graduate, I tried to act as the ‘steerer of topic’ back to what needed to be done as well as the all-around organizer of the group. Here, my patience was really put into practice, especially when they would show signs of being flustered or bogged down with all the to-do lists. I would often tell them to relax because it wasn’t really that much to do and that we could in fact get things done. Other than that though, they were so much fun to be groupmates with! We spent quite a few hours of our meetings eating cake and chit-chatting about random stuff like living wills and the importance of having a bank account that your husband/partner doesn’t know about. Haha!

Although our presentation this morning wasn’t as seamless as I would have liked it to be, I was in a way satisfied because it was really a learning experience for me. This time, it isn’t about the grade. It’s about getting along with other people and doing it well. I would definitely consider that an accomplishment!

1 comment:

Pinay in Heels said...

arki student here..."was" an arki student...i love doin presentations. it honed my talent in public speaking and helped me be comfortable in my own skin.