Sunday, July 02, 2006

Creative Nametag

My first project at design school was to make a "creative nametag." This was what I came up with:


















There were these three guidelines to follow:

1. It should be readable from a distance. -- Check! It has a big MISTY printed in front, and the dictionary definition of the word on the back.
2. It should use uncommon materials. -- Check! I used a shoebox, sticker paper, used noodle cups, spray paint, ink, and the most uncommon of all, dry ice (and hot water to make smoke)!
3. It should reflect your personality. -- Well, did it? I think so! So, check! Haha. I wanted to make it simple but witty, and that's why I chose the concept of literally interpretting my name and its definition through simple materials.

Homeless to Harvard was showing on Cinemax last night and I was watching it while I was doing my nametag. It was about this girl Liz Murray (great acting by Thora Birch -- I love her!), who literally went from homeless to Harvard! She had drug addict parents who didn't take care of her, and a lot of other crazy things happened to her as well. She was poor and had nowhere to live at 15, but somehow, through her incredible intelligence and sheer perseverance, she managed to get a New York Times scholarship to get her through Harvard. It was an inspiring movie, but not cheesy at all. I love it! Anyway, there was this scene I liked in the movie. It was when Liz got her first written paper back and graded -- she got an A minus. While most people would be more than happy with a grade like that, she wasn't! She went back to the teacher and asked how she could make it an A. She said something like, "I know I'm doing something right, but I might as well learn how to make it ALL right." Don't you feel that way sometimes? When you want everything to be perfect? I know I can be that way sometimes -- like with that 98 I got for my creative nametag...

Haha, nah, I was just kidding. I'm more than happy with a 98!

11 comments:

chubibochubaboy said...

wow! i was trying to figure out how you were going to make the illusion you were trying to make with the dry ice when pam told me about your name tag... but it looks great! hehe! congratulations! especially with the 98! hehe! :p really creative, i wouldn't have been able to think of that no matter how hard i tried! hehe! good i'm sticking with facts of science, huh?! hehe!

i don't have a blog here, i only have the one in livejournal, but i couldn't comment on your post if i didn't make one, so i did! hehe! :)

ok, i'll see you soon! have fun with school and work! :)

Misty said...

ayan! i fixed my settings already -- now anyone can post comments! haha sorry pau, you had to make an account pa tuloy.

but thanks din! haha actually, i was planning to do something more complicated with the dry ice but it didn't work! baka hindi lang mag work at sumabog pa sa mukha ko yung dry ice! so i went the simple route. pang tamad, but it works! haha!

i missed you last saturday. oh well,see you at your next study session! ;)

Anonymous said...

hey misty!! *clap*clap* ang ganda nman nun nametag.. but i do have one question: do you have to wear that? haha.. we miss you!! mwaaahh!!

Misty said...

hi cham, thanks! haha no we don't have to wear it! i just put mine on the table. ;)

i miss you too! eli and roxy and uggie!!! i wanna go back soon, next time with pam na para mas masaya!

Anonymous said...

great nametag! 98 huh? why did they have to dock those two points off???? come to think about it, 98% still converts to an A+ :)

Misty said...

eli! i know, huh? but as i said, ok na ok na ang 98 for me!

how's work? i'm sure you're enjoying it so much -- more roxies and uggies to baby and spoil! ;)

Anonymous said...

standing ovation for misty.
i love the nametag.
sabi mo nga "its so misty"
nakakatuwa naman kasi nagagawa mo na ung gusto. yey!
98 is 98. clap clap.
jorelle

Misty said...

thanks jo! ano kaya pwede nametag for "jorelle" ? haha wala lang.

hoy pc!!! so, you're making your own blog too huh? did i inspire you??? hahaha! actually, it's the other way around isn't it? i wouldn't have thought of my nametag if you didn't help me brainstorm/listen to my constant nagging haha -- ikaw kaya ang may "natural brainy power" sa atin! hehe. yes, see you tomorrow i hope!

Anonymous said...

work is good, quite rewarding actually... i get sad though sometimes, because i see a lot of dogs in really bad shape, like malnourished cockers and shih tzus. their hair kind of hides the fact that they're skin and bones, and their parents don't even notice...

Anonymous said...

nice! galing tlga ni mama.

make me one! naku, hirap ata. toj? hehe

Anonymous said...

weow meeesty .. asteeg. ang galing mo ... science meets art .. hehe! sna nung highschool ganyan den ung nametags naten .. hehe! :)